Friday, July 8, 2011

Summer Veggie Lunch in 2 Minutes Flat


This morning, after dealing with an unruly and extremely stubborn puppy, I was already running 10 minutes behind for work. The last thing I wanted to do was make a "sack" lunch. But alas, memories of countless conversations Marc and I have had over the past couple months about how much money we can save by bringing our lunches to work got the better of me.

At first, I planned to just bring a couple of mozzarella string cheeses, some almonds and a peach to work and hope for the best. But realistically I knew that was not going to cut it, and I could already see myself buckling and going to Wow Bao for spring rolls and Thai herb broth (my favorite) for the second time this week.

So I glanced in the fridge, then in the cupboard, and came up with this little number...


Black bean, Cucumber and Tomato Salad
3/4 C. black beans, drained (I used canned, but you don't have to)
1 C. sliced cucumbers (I use the small cucumbers, love them)
1/2 C. grape tomatoes, halved
1-2 Tbsp. feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 C. fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped
cayenne pepper, pinch
black pepper, to taste
salt, to taste (be mindful that feta is already pretty salty!)
A vinegar-based dressing of your choice (I happened to have a bottle of Newman's Italian dressing at work, otherwise I would have used balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil).

Combine all ingredients and enjoy!

What's great about this recipe, besides its simplicity, healthfulness and high protein content, is that you can dress the salad at home and it won't wilt in your fridge at work. You could even double, triple or quadruple the recipe and make it in advance to eat throughout the week. Because I LOVE cheese, I used two kinds - but obviously you could use one, or three, or omit it if you don't like cheese. But I have to say, if you don't like cheese, you probably won't like this blog. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment