Thursday, July 14, 2011

Steamed Asparagus in 5 Minutes Flat

Part of cooking at home more means finding easy ways to make your favorite foods.  If preparing side dishes takes an hour, I will get frustrated and wish I had ordered take out.

That's one of the reasons I was so happy when I learned how to make no-fail asparagus in five minutes (from Alton Brown's show on Food Network, Good Eats!).  I am usually a fan of sauteeing my veggies in olive oil and kosher salt (and sometimes garlic), which is fairly quick.  But this is even easier, and it's extremely healthy.

Here's what you you'll need:

Three paper towels (connected)
1 bunch asparagus
kosher or sea salt (about 1 teaspoon - more or less based on your taste)
Lemon wedges

First, wash the asparagus and cut off or break off the coarse ends. Then, wet the paper towels and squeeze out any excess water.  Lay the towels flat on the counter and place the asparagus on top of the towels in a single layer.  Sprinkle the salt over the asparagus. Roll the asparagus and towel so that you have basically an asparagus burrito, with the asparagus on the inside and the towel on the outside.  Heat in the microwave for 3 minutes (if you like your asparagus on the crisp side) or 3 1/2 - 4 minutes if you like it more tender.  The water from the towel and the heat will perfectly steam the asparagus.  If you like fresh lemon on your veggies (I do), squirt a few lemon wedges over the asparagus and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment